How to View Available Access Points?
- As you are using Linux Operating System, Initially go to Application.
- Now go to Kali Linux > Wireless Attacks > 802.11 wireless tools > Wifite
- If you are unable to view Wifite then simply type ‘wifite’ in Terminal.
- Here, you can see List of Available Wi-Fi Access Points. (you must be root).
- Wait for few seconds in order to notice nearby Wi-Fi points like WEP, WPA/WPA2.
Steps to Hack WEP Encryption based Wi-Fi Network
Hacking a Wi-Fi network that uses WEP security encryption is relatively very easy when compared to other encryption methods. While using this Wifite tool, you must follow simple steps as given below:
- Just choose the appropriate target NUM (1,2,3,..,n) in order to crack it.
- Hacking a WEP key that ensures 100% possibilities of cracking the WEP WiFi password that currently uses 5 attacks.
- Make sure that the attack is completed within 10 minutes.
- You need not worry if one WEP WiFi attack fails, the other will come into action automatically for succeeding 10 minutes.
- You can choose any attack. For instance, choose NUM 2 attack.
- Within few minutes the WEP Wi-Fi network gets hacked.
- You can see the WEP key that is present in the above image. It is a Hexadecimal representation of WEP WiFi’s password.
- That WEP Key can be used as the Wi-Fi password.
- Later, you can also convert the Wi-Fi password into actual password that is in the form of human readable mode using online Hex-to-ASCII converter.
Steps to Hack WPA Encryption based Wi-Fi Network
Hacking a Wi-Fi network that uses WPA security encryption is little bit tough when compared to WEP as this is highly protected encryption method. This can also be hacked when the password contains less number of characters. It takes less time to hack a Wi-Fi network that uses short passwords. In order to hack this type of Wi-Fi network you need to use Handshake capture.
Handshake is a file that can be captured when Router (Wi-Fi Access Point) and client(s) (Laptop, Mobile or other Wi-Fi enabled devices) communicate to authenticate each other. You may have a doubt that, “What is the purpose of this Handshake file?” The main target is to hack Wi-Fi network i.e., password. This Handshake file comprises of Wi-Fi password but in encrypted form.
As the password is in encrypted form, let us try some other password combination on the encrypted password to acquire the original password. This process is known as Brute Forcing that is done offline. By using Brute-Forcing, the password present in the handshake file can be captured easily within few minutes.
In the below image, you can see dictionary which is a file that contains all known words from various sources usually phrased as Wi-Fi password.
- As soon as you start WPA handshake capture, it displays a message as “Client Found”.
- It generates a command using handshake capture (that contains password) as (TEST_C0-A0-BB-04-5C-A9.cap).
- The above command cracks the password file that must be saved at /root/DICTIONARY/.
- Till now, you have used two WPA attacks that are completed successfully.
- You can see Key Found [Password 1] in the above image that displays the Master key and Transient key.
A password file usually contains words that are created using combination of different characters, numbers and special symbols. A password requires a lot of computational power if it a strong password including numbers and other special characters. The above WPA Wi-Fi Security Encryption got cracked easily because of easy password. Suppose, if you are but dealing with strong password, it might take more hours to crack the password.